Mzumbe University has a rich history dating back to 1953 when it was established as a local government school for training chiefs, native authority staff, and councilors in Tanzania. After Tanzania gained independence in 1961, the school’s scope was expanded to include the training of government officials, rural development officers, and local court magistrates.
In 1972, the school was transformed into the Institute of Development Management (IDM), with the goal of offering training and research in various fields such as management, administration, and entrepreneurship. IDM quickly established itself as a leading institution in the region, providing high-quality training and consultancy services to public and private organizations.
In 2001, the government of Tanzania recognized the need for a specialized university that could build on IDM’s legacy and expand its offerings to include undergraduate and postgraduate programs. The Mzumbe University Act was passed in 2001, paving the way for the establishment of Mzumbe University. In 2006, Mzumbe University became a fully-fledged university, offering degree programs in various fields, including business, law, social sciences, and public administration.
Today, Mzumbe University is widely recognized as one of the best universities in Tanzania, with a reputation for providing high-quality education and training that is responsive to students’ needs. The university’s mission is to produce graduates who are well-rounded, ethical, and capable of contributing to the social, economic, and political development of Tanzania and the wider East African region.
Mzumbe University is committed to providing high-quality education that is tailored to the needs of its students, preparing them for their desired careers by equipping them with the necessary knowledge and skills for a competitive national and international job market. To become part of the Mzumbe University community of alumni, you must first apply to the university, ensuring that you meet all the institution’s admission requirements. If you’re unsure about the university’s admission qualifications (Sifa Za Kujiunga Na Chuo Kikuu Cha Mzumbe), we have provided them below.
What makes Mzumbe University special?
Mzumbe University is special in several ways. Firstly, it has a rich history of over 50 years of providing high-quality education and training to government officials, rural development officers, and local court magistrates. This means that the university has a long-standing tradition of producing graduates who are well-equipped to make meaningful contributions to the development of Tanzania and beyond.
Secondly, Mzumbe University offers a wide range of undergraduate and postgraduate courses in various fields, both at degree and non-degree levels. This gives students the opportunity to pursue their academic interests and career aspirations in a diverse range of fields, from business and management to law and social sciences.
Thirdly, the university is committed to providing high-quality education that is responsive to the needs of students, the job market, and society at large. Mzumbe University aims to equip its graduates with the knowledge, skills, and values needed to succeed in their chosen careers and to make a positive impact on their communities.
Finally, Mzumbe University has a strong reputation for research excellence and innovation. The university is home to several research centers and institutes that conduct cutting-edge research on a wide range of topics, from governance and public policy to health and social sciences. This research not only contributes to academic knowledge but also helps to inform policy and practice in Tanzania and beyond.
Mzumbe University’s admission requirements and qualifications
To be admitted into any course at Mzumbe University, an applicant must meet the institution’s admission requirements and qualifications. Below are the general requirements for admission:
Certificate and Diploma Programs:
- For Certificate programs, a candidate must have completed Form Four and passed with at least four passes, including English and Mathematics.
- For Diploma programs, a candidate must have completed Form Six and passed with at least one principal pass and one subsidiary pass in relevant subjects, or have completed a relevant certificate program from a recognized institution.
Bachelor’s Degree Programs:
- A candidate must have completed Form Six with at least two principal passes in relevant subjects.
- Holders of Diplomas from recognized institutions may also apply.
- General Admission and Registration Requirements for the Postgraduate Degrees Programmes
Note: Admission requirements for specific courses may vary, so it is advisable to consult the relevant department or visit the university website for more information.
- A candidate for admission to the master’s degree must have a second-class bachelor’s degree from a recognized institution of higher learning, or a second-class advanced diploma or equivalent qualifications obtained after at least three (3) years of study, or a professional qualification such as ACCA, CPA (T), MD, CSP, MCIPS, or their equivalent from recognized professional bodies or institutions.
- An applicant with a PASS degree will also be considered if they can demonstrate that they have acquired an examined postgraduate or professional qualification.
- A candidate with undeclared degrees should have a credit average of B or above.
- A candidate holding a degree whose classification is not easily distinguishable by the University shall be required to have his or her qualifications clarified by the Tanzania Commission for Universities (TCU) before being considered for admission.
- Additional requirements for entry to a particular Faculty/ Institute/ school or Programme are presented in the Faculty/ Institute/school-specific requirements.